Friday, April 1, 2011

3 Days Left :(

As days go by, my time here on Midway becomes less and less. I have become so connected with this place and leaving here in three days will be heartbreaking.  I am going to miss being so close to nature and spending time with animals that aren't afraid of me. My favourite thing to do here is sit in the middle of a big field with thousands of birds around me!

Photo: Ian Hinkle


They are so cute and aren't scared of you one bit! Yesterday, I sat beside a little chick and we played tug-o-war with my sweater. Just like a dog would, they shake their head in attempt to win the battle, so adorable! Occasionally, an adult or juvenile wanders up to me and nibbles at my shoe or camera but they're gentle..most of the time.


When I sit there I feel like I could stay forever, but then who would tell this story? Who would share the horrors of this beautiful place? Who would tell the world about this colossal problem of plastic pollution?  So I realize I can't stay here forever. I need to go home and share my stories and experiences from Midway Atoll every chance I get!

-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment